How do I dispose of: Tires?

Many municipalities include tires in their drop-off collection programs for their residents and auto service shops accept them for a small fee. Modern no longer offers bulk tire collection and recycling.

How do I dispose of: Paint?

Latex – Remove the lid and air dry the paint in the can. To speed up the process, stir in an absorbent material such as kitty litter or sawdust. For large amounts, line a sturdy box with a plastic bag. Fill with kitty litter or sawdust and pour in the leftover paint. Put in the trash once dry. Wet paint put in the trash can make a terrible mess when the garbage truck compacts the cans and the paint is released. This is the main reason municipalities require paints to be dry or solidified before disposal.


Oil-based– take to Household Hazardous Waste collection.

How do I dispose of: Mattresses?

Residents may place mattresses at the curb for collection. Follow your municipal “large bulk item” rules. Additional fee may apply for commercial customers. Contact Modern’s Customer Service or your Sales Representative for more information.

How do I dispose of: Carpet?

Put carpet at the curb near your trash container on your scheduled service day in rolls no longer than 4 feet or wider than 18 inches.

How do I dispose of: Electronic Waste

Beginning January 1, 2015, covered electronic equipment may no longer be accepted for disposal at a solid or hazardous waste management facility from any organization, business or person. Items such as TV’s, computers, monitors, video games, etc. must be recycled because they contain small amounts of metals that are toxic if leaked into the environment but valuable when recovered.


  • DO NOT place covered electronic items in containers along with other solid waste or recycling.
  • DO NOT leave covered electronic items at your curb.
  • DO recycle covered electronic items properly by taking them to a registered collection site or by working with a registered electronic waste recycler for collection and processing.
  • FIND INFORMATION about collection programs and registered collection sites via the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation or check with your local municipality.